Treatment for Powdery Mildew
There are many varieties of mold and mildew. We will address them all here as Powdery Mildew. Protection PlusTM works great to suppress Powdery Mildew. Once you have Powdery Mildew, it will be very hard to get rid of it unless you spray weekly to keep it from getting out of control. Before applying any fungicide, make sure the plants are fully hydrated. Flush the plants well with water and show a good amount of run-off. Wait 1 hour before application. Professional Fungicide Applicators Note: Many infestations come from stress caused by excess fertilizer in the growing medium. Check EC/PPM of the last few ounces of run-off from the pot. It must be the same EC/PPM as the water you used to flush with. Repeat the flush procedure until you get matching numbers, then treat for insects.
Effectiveness - For fungicides to be effective, they must be applied as soon as symptoms are noticed, but the best method of control is prevention. Once mildew growth is extensive, controlling the situation with any fungicide becomes more difficult. It is highly recommended to use Protection PlusTM as a protectant to highly susceptible plants before the disease appears.
Coverage - Protection PlusTM is effective only on contact, so applications must thoroughly cover all susceptible plant parts. As plants grow and produce new tissue, additional applications may be necessary at 7- to 10-day intervals as long as conditions favor disease growth.
Dosage should stay at 4 ounces (120 ml) per gallon of water. Powdery Mildew is hard to control.
If possible, use an airless sprayer. They emit a very consistent fine spray without a lot of pressure behind it. This will allow the plant’s leaves to not move around so much that you miss hitting the pests. 100 ft super light-weight hoses and extra reach attachments are available. Use the orifice supplied for fine mist applications. Make sure the sprayer is rated for food crops
Much research needs to be done to determine whether powdery mildew as a whole or a certain strain affects certain plants systemically. There are thousands of strains of powdery mildew, some specific to plants as rose powdery mildew is different than powdery mildew found on cucumbers. In the case of Cannabis, at the time of this writing, it is up in the air which one or more powdery mildew strains affect Cannabis. Until more is known, the best way to keep powdery mildew from corrupting the crop is to consistently use a proper IPM program. It is known, however, that powdery mildew is much more common in plants that are underfed and overfed, with overfed being more problematic.
Protection Plus -
Natural Fungicide for Plants
- Kills eggs, larvae, young and adult insects
- Earth-friendly: natural, food-based ingredients
- Industry best kill rates
- Lower cost: Eliminates excessive treatments and the need for product rotation
- Guaranteed pure: Quarterly testing to be free of over 400 forbidden ingredients to ensure our products are safe and natural for tough hemp and cannabis testing requirements
- Free of all Proposition 65 ingredients
- Residue-free, non-oil based formula doesn’t clog pores or hamper plant growth
Directions for Treatment of Powdery Mildew:
- Root Zone water flush (until runoff) is recommended before application. Wait 1 hour after the flush to apply the diluted mixture.
- AGITATE bottle BEFORE diluting.
- Dilute 4 oz per gallon (extra strength) with water. Maintain this strength as powdery mildew is hard to control.
- AGITATE DILUTED MIXTURE. Use diluted mixture within 1 hour. Natural ingredients will settle to the bottom after 1 hour and will require you to re-agitate.
- Protection Plus™ is a contact killer. Fully coat leaf, stem, under the canopy, and soil to a slight runoff.
- Do not store below 32°F or above 120°F
For Optimal Results Treating Powdery Mildew:
- Apply with water and air temperature at 82°F (indoors) or between 50°F and 90°F (outdoors).
- Foliar spray: spray when transpIration levels are at their lowest (beginning of the day or 2 hours after lights off or late afternoon (not direct sunlight).
- Soil drench: apply during dark period.